An influential orator during the aggressive hours of Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King’s words still continues to resonate among us. Inspired by the ideas of non-violence he motivated his fellow beings to fight for a brighter tomorrow by ending racial segregation and discrimination against black Americans. He is a prominent name from the pages of American history who had aspired to inspire the nation before he expired. So we have brought together a selection of Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes in memory of his birthday that falls on the third Monday of January. Hoping to imbibe some of his saying, inscribed below are the 10 famous quotes by Martin Luther King.
Top Ten Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes
1. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige, and even his life for the welfare of others.”
2. “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
3. “When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”
4. “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
5. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
6. “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
7. “We all have the drum major instinct. We all want to be important, to surpass others, to achieve distinction, to lead the parade. … And the great issue of life is to harness the drum major instinct. It is a good instinct if you don’t distort it and pervert it. Don’t give it up. Keep feeling the need for being important. Keep feeling the need for being first. But I want you to be the first in love. I want you to be the first in moral excellence. I want you to be the first in generosity.”
8. “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”
9. “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
10. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.